Sunday, 23 March 2014

Initial ideas

Initial ideas and concepts

I intend on using a sort of stand system that comes from opening the book, or from the back.  This would make it easier to use in the kitchen setting, and also would prevent the need to keep picking the book up whilst cooking which could end up in sticky pages! (however this wouldn't be too much of a problem if i could make the book with wipeable pages...)
I also would like to incorporate extra features in my designs such as pop up sections or interactive content such as colouring in areas, including the crayons, or an adventure theme... something else i have considered is wipeable pages. Using these sorts of features would make the design more 3-dimensional and interactive for children, thus involving them and holding their attention more efficiently. Visually it would be more interesting. However, the use of colouring in may mean that the book becomes boring once they have been used for this purpose, the same goes for a sticker book, although it may be fun at first there is no longevity in the task. Perhaps something more lasting would be better. I do after all feel that educating children or raising awareness of healthy eating for children is a long term thing and not just something to come and go as quickly as the average 8 year old attention span!



In terms of organisation of the recipes in general throughout the book, I have seen existing material that uses a key in the recipe contents page, where they are ordered in seasons. This makes the book more relevant throughout the whole year but also educates on when ingredients are most available. 
I want to use imagery showing the process of the food being cooked either through using photographs of children in the target age range making the food, or characters creating the meals. I have explored the use of a rabbit for the first task and may continue this further. I believe that children would be able to relate to these images more than just images step by step therefore being more interested in the overall process. Use of characters to engage the audience is proven in its success through the years as many illustrators have used character visuals to accompany plot lines and tasks etc
I'm interested in using hand print animals, or textured painted elements, typefaces made from the ingredients both literally and aesthetically (in a previous module i wrote titles out of coffee and tea which ended up in a very interesting typeface, i then scanned and photographed them to use digitally) 
Can I turn the ingredients into the characters? for example, could a carrot become a face? perhaps of a giraffe or a horse or rabbit? or could it become the body of another such as a fox? Or could I create hair out of purple sprouting broccoli? (evil minions spring to mind!) Perhaps i could use goggly eyes and see what happens? I imagine a piece of broccoli would look great as a face with a crazy sort of veggie afro! and maybe a crying onion or a dopey looking mushroom could provoke the imagination.




From here perhaps i could incorporate tasks in the book on how to create your own characters from the ingredients? Or perhaps what can be done with the remainders or scraps of the ingredients; maybe the children have a pet rabbit or they could start a compost bin, which if they wanted to, could later feed their own veg patch where they grow their own ingredients? 

I want to incorporate the idea of mathematical concepts such as "half", "one teaspoon" or "30 minutes" which would educate children in how to weigh things up in terms of scale or time etc. Or develop on their existing knowledge.
A sense of step by step, to encourage a level of patience and organisation as well as develop a clear understanding of the stages in cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment