This is my first attempt at a digital rendering of a sketch made previously for my front cover. I feel that the image I created in the centre (aside from any text) is quite strong as it is clear, simple and illustrates the notion of sustainability and healthy foods etc through the use of farm related animals and a tractor, in addition to some drawings of vegetables. The cover over-all is simple and I have used a flat colour intentionally as I am aware this is currently popular in the digital market in terms of apps etc. I have used a simple, "foody" typeface which is called PWFicelles. I chose the font as it is incredibly similar to the style I had hand drawn previously inspired by chives from the eggy bread recipe. It is clear and legible from a distance without being too bold which i feel creates a classier appearance that would appeal to an adult buying the book.
Playing around with the typeface within my central image, and also with colour. I personally really like the deep blue however I feel this makes the book look a little too grown up for children of the selected age range and also makes it feel less fun. Perhaps this is through dark blue being quite a business like colour.
This flat yet rich orange stands out and makes the cover feel warn and inviting. The white stands out nicely in the foreground. I have played around again with the typeface but i am not convinced this looks great. I have applied a fish eye effect to the central body of text which was intended to create a more dimensional appearance which i do not feel has been effective.
Going back to the original typeface here, I have incorporated a drop shadow which now seems in keeping with the overall feel of the cover. It makes the simple body of central text more legible and it now jumps out more. This is more effective and yet does not take away from the clean and simple overall feel. I really like this colour but i am not sure if it would appeal to children without being a little brighter, and also at that age i feel little boys may be less keen to buy something with a pink tone. Perhaps the greens and oranges are more unisex.
I have gone back to a deeper green that I intend on playing around with further as i feel it seems a bit dull now. But on the right track I think. The central text now black, is more prominent and Iintend on running this design past a few 8+ children and their parents to see what they make of it.
I have added in a couple of birds on the central image to fill up a little more space, also I have been exploring the idea of the image being a turning wheel so these birds would remain stationary if the circle was to turn. In addition to this i have put a drop shadow in on the above text as well but I am undecided whether to take this forward. I prefer the cover without however have been told the text is more legible with, so i will user test the image for a decision.
- The front cover will be (in any design case) wipe clean. So will have a semi-shiny appearance.
- considering the "wheel" movement on central image and the notion of a clear window showing a variety of changing images or text behind.
- I am thinking about having a magnetic lock system that would flip round the edge of the book, this would keep the inner pages better protected from fluids and create a more sleek look.
- This "locking" system could work into something which could prop the book up in the kitchen.
- Would make the cover more interactive.
- I would repeat the image on the rear cover in order to have a base for smaller text.






No comments:
Post a Comment