Further Development:
Here is my first front and back cover design, I have continued on with a few features from the previous stage. Changes I have now made and things i would like to incorporate/develop on:
- I have reversed the tractor from the previous design, so as to convey a sense of the tractor "going into the book" rather than away. This has made a more balanced image and just looks more thought out to me.
- I have come up with a long list of potential titles for the book, but i think i will go with "little green trees" this is from something my little brother used to say as a child about his broccoli. to this day he will not touch a veg other than "little green trees" (broccoli)
- This title has been played with in a way through the use of the central image's scale. The broccoli florets in fact do look like little trees.
- The text within the image now reads "A family sustainable cook book" as i thought that in the future there may be more in a sort of series, so calling it "the" may create a dead end. If not perhaps "The family sustainable cook books"? Just a thought anyway...
- From this I thought there could be other titles in said series such as "how do you like them apples?" or "peaches and cream" say if one was making a bakery/sweets cook book from sustainable and local food products?
- I have included some type in the lower half of the book which makes it feel more balanced and complete, however the content is not necessarily final. I will work on this further.
- I have begun to consider a back cover, on which i have come up with a sort of synopsis/passage that hopefully would motivate and engage children. In this passage I have played around with common phrases that use veg or food. This lends itself in content to the book.
- I have removed the drop shadow, I feel the image may be strong and legible enough without it. In addition, Lynda mentioned it looks a bit like a screen print, which I found really interesting and this conveys a sort of organic and natural feel.
- In terms of added features, I may stick to something quite simple. I was considering having the front image as a wheel that could turn. But I think now the for a front cover especially it may be best to have as little parts to damage as possible, and also the wipe clean nature would not work as well with "bits" that move.
- Instead I would like to have the Title text and central "sustainable" text raised or embossed, so that the little individual chive like strands stood out, or could be felt. This would be a tactile and sensory effect for children to enjoy yet still remains classy and simple for adults buying the book.
- The green appears to have come up slightly different on my blog than on the original photoshop document but Im sure I can rectify that if needed.
- Begin to consider logo placement
- Shrink font on spine to explore aesthetics etc
The blank section within the lowed image on the back cover could be used for price or a barcode, or even a QR code that could take the user to; a website? such as Local food lunches, an app or game, It could bring up information on local farms or if possible come up with the ingredients that are in season locally and give you directions and food miles?

No comments:
Post a Comment